Sunday 19 January 2014

Sugar Lip Scrub | DIY



This is a DIY I've been meaning to get round to - this tiny jam jar some what inspired me, and having sitting in my room I thought I ought to do something with it. Whether it was just to use it for storing something e.g. food or to actually make something to go inside. I've been wanting to make a lip scrub for a while, as I have made one before (which wasn't the best) and I've actually purchased one from LUSH in the past. But after finally getting round to doing a little DIY, it made me think how easy lip scrubs are to make - never shall I purchase one again! 


This weeks post will therefore be a quick and simple sugar lip scrub DIY!

What You Will Need...


Some of these are definitely optional; the flavouring, colouring and ribbon - just adjust it to your needs!

The first step (this is pretty simple and very quick!), is to measure out around 3 or 3 1/2 teaspoons of sugar (I used white) into a small mixing bowl. I didn't necessarily measure exactly, I just went with what seemed right and it turned out pretty good, so just add as much or as little as you want. I then added some 'Extra Virgin Olive Oil' apparently this works best? I think I added around 1 teaspoon, basically until the consistency was to my needs, considering I was adding some more wet ingredients later. I then went and added the almond extract and was very careful as it is strong, but this gave it such a lovely scent as well as flavour. This next step is actually also optional but I added some Vaseline and lip balm, this gives the scrub moisture so it isn't too drying on the lips. To finish off and give it some colour I added a very small amount of food colouring, optional again but I thought it looked quite nice.

That's it! A really simple DIY that literally takes minute, I then placed it in the cute little jam jar and wrapped some ribbon round it too!

As an alternative or extra ingredient you can actually add honey, this is what I used when I last made some lip scrub but as I’m not fond of honey I didn't use it this time. For all the honey lovers out there, this would be a nice ingredient as honey is anti-bacterial as well as a healing ingredient. I have also heard you can add chilli oil can be used as it stimulated blood flow to the area and therefore can give you fuller, plumper lips. However I didn't use either of these as I didn't want to but maybe you do? 



Hopefully you enjoyed reading this weeks post and maybe you'll give it a try? Thank you for reading and have a lovely week!

As a side note I was thinking of adding a quote at the end of my weekly posts. It may be; inspirational, motivational or just a nice quote that you can read to start you off for the week ahead (as my weekly posts normally commence on Sundays!). These quotes won't be to do with the post just a meaningful quote that means something to me and maybe even you.

Are you doing any 'DIY's' at the moment, if so what are they? 


~ We must travel in the direction of our fear ~ 

10 comments:

  1. I will definitely be giving this ago. It looks amazing and so simple! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very quick and easy and really helps flaky/dry lips!x

      Delete
  2. Such a great idea! I'll definitely be trying this! I especially love the bit of writing at the bottom 'We must travel in the direction of our fear' - So true! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yes I have now started including some motivational quotes at the end of each weekly (normally Sunday) posts!x glad you liked it!x

      Delete
  3. Oooh thjs is cute! Seems like a good present idea too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah this is a great idea, I just got a LUSH lip scrub as a gift and it definitely works but I've always wanted to make my own one! x

    thebigmegowski.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I once owned a LUSH lip scrub, but I was in need of a new one and couldn't see myself spending £5 for one - so I made it myself haha :) x

      Delete
  5. The jar is so cute! & I have nominated you for the Liebster Award, for the info check out my blog post http://darlinnnng.blogspot.com/2014/02/liebster-award.html (: good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful, and such a cute package. I've been working on DIY's since I purchased a Lush lip scrub only to kick myself later that day when I realized I paid $10 for sugar!

    ReplyDelete