Tuesday 24 December 2013

Wavy Hair; Overnight | Current Hair Care Routine


Merry Christmas Eve! I know this may seem a strange post to post on Christmas eve, this was supposed to be posted a few weeks back but I never got round to editing the photos and typing it up. This post will include what I'm currently using on my hair and how I currently style it. 

You could say my hair is naturally straight, but as I wash it before I go to bed it ends up a mess when I wake up. So most mornings I would straighten it, this left my hair with little volume and I would damage it with heat everyday. Therefore I came up with a solution to place my hair in 'neat buns' overnight to achieve natural looking 'beachy waves' with more texture and volume! This is overnight and that means no heat, but if some days, like me, you don't mind adding a small amount of heat, then it's nice to using curling tongs and give it a bit more definition if needed.

How I achieve Messy Waves...


To create natural looking long-lasting waves, I simply place my hair In 2/3 (depending on how wavy I want it - the more the buns the tighter the messy waves/curls). However you have to be careful as if you make the buns too 'messy' then this may result in less defined wavy in the morning. Meaning when I do this I twist the hair to the point it forms itself into a tight neat bun. I then take some hair grips and pin it in place, sometimes I use a thin small hair elastic on top to prevent it from falling out. The reason I do this instead of shoving a normal bobble on, is because it stop the hair from loosing the spiral like wave and becoming 'crimped' due to being caught in the bobble. 


Before placing my hair in 2 or 3 buns, I use a hair mousse. I find this holds them in place and also prevents the hair from frizzing. If you don't have mousse having damp hair works just as well!


This does look slightly ridiculous but once you've slept for a while and taken these out, your hair will look naturally wavy. I can't promise anything as everyone has different hair, this may work on others and this may not. But  I thought it would be a nice idea to share which some people could try successful or not. 

The result... 


Here is the result after taking the buns out in the morning, but don't be fooled this is not how it looked straight after taking them out. To begin with it may look a little too messy or not as defined. Therefore I run my hands through my hair and sometimes if needed use a curling tong to adjust certain parts which don't look their best. You could then say this is not a 'no heat' hairstyle but the heat is optional. 

To finish off the hair I will normally use a salt spray to give it more texture and even more of a 'beachy waves' look. But be careful not to use too much salt spray as it can leave your hair dry and crispy. 

How I style It

Most of the time I will just leave this down, but sometimes there are different ways I think looks lovely to style it.


Style 1 - As you can see the first picture shows a style of plaiting the hair around the head. The picture only shows one side of my head but I plait either side and bring them both together at the back with a small hair elastic. I got a few compliments whilst wearing my hair like this and I think it looks very pretty and feminine. My little brother actually called me a princess when I had my hair like this, haha! An alternative to this is if you don't have much time just grab some hair from the front (as you would for the plaits) and just pin these both at the back too.

Style 2 - This style is just to place my hair in a high pony tail, which is messy and has lots of volume. I like the way this looks as well as my hair being out my face all day. I like to make it a fairly hair pony tail and tug at parts of the hair, giving it a more messy natural look. 

Style 3 - This would be to just have it down and natural looking. I find this the most simple as when you may not have much time in the morning it's simply the case of taking your hair out adjusting it slightly and that't it! I love this because it looks like you may have spent a while when really it's a simple no heat (optional) hairstyle. 

Current Hair Care (Mini review)

As this is a 'hair based' post I thought I would include what i'm currently loving in the hair region. At the moment I have been using an old time favourite and thought I would share with you how much i'm loving it!


Herbal essences shampoo/conditioner is a product I used to love, even when I knew nothing about the blogging world! They recently, well a year or so back now, brought out their new range. Their new range had different packaging and I’m guessing a different formula as I wasn't as fond. Their old range/formula became less accessible but recently not so much. Therefore my mum had bought some more of it, and I’m glad she did. 

The scents of these are amazing, very floral and zesty. As seen in the pictures I have the 'Chamomile, Aloe Vera and Passion flowers extracts' shampoo, as well as the 'Rose hips, Jojoba extracts and Vitamin E' conditioner - both of which smell so good. 

They say that the shampoo is 0% silicone i.e. silicone free. At first this meant nothing to me, but as this was presented in a large text on the front on the bottle, surely they wouldn't show it off for no reason. After a bit of research I found that many shampoos in fact contain silicone, this is a popular ingredient in many shampoos - even popular/high end hair products. Silicone is an ingredient which creates the hair to become shiny and 'frizz free' but at the time. As when you use a shampoo containing this ingredient it creates a coating of the silicone on the hair, which builds up over time. It can lead to hair loss (not drastic, don't worry) and leave your hair dry overtime. Additionally, if you dye your hair a silicone shampoo wouldn't be appropriate as the silicone will create a barrier and after dying your hair it will supposedly fade very quickly. Also any hair treatment to help your hair e.g. oils, will become less effective due to the silicone barrier. So after researching and finding this out (assuming it is true) I was happy to see this product was silicone free!


Now for me these work so well with my hair, I have long thick hair which gets greasy maybe every 2 to 3 days. However shampoos and conditioners are a hard product to review as they will work very differently with different hair types. But whilst talking about my current hair care/routine I thought I would give these a mention. 

Thank you for reading, I hope you gained some form of tip or something useful you didn't know before out of this. Also hopefully give a try some of the ideas or products I've been using.

Have a lovely Christmas!




6 comments:

  1. Love this, I'm going to try this tomorrow! I'm following you on twitter, gfc and bloglovin! Would love it if you could check out my blog lovely :)
    Serena xo

    serenatalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will check out your blog and follow back!x

      Delete
  2. Your hair is so beautiful and long! Have you tried Herbal Essences Moisturising coconut blue bottle?
    Following you! Follow back?

    lynzical.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think it's a bit too long now though haha. I haven't but I would love to, thanks for the recommendation! Sure x

      Delete
  3. beautiful....



    ultimate....



    What should I Include In My Hair Care Routine
    If you want healthy and shiny hair then you need daily care for that. Using expensive cosmetics only can not better treat you hair. It is very important that it is included in you daily hair care routine.

    Here in this section we are giving you some easy hair care routine maintaining tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also.

    potato on face overnight
    http://dainty--beauty.blogspot.com/2013/12/wavy-hair-overnight-current-hair-care.html

    ReplyDelete